DSDC believes in the value of independent audit as a way of helping improve design for people with dementia.
It provides a focus for change and a cost-effective way of rating environmental design as well as recognising those who have achieved success.
Dementia Design Audit Accreditation
DSDC offers a full expert audit service which leads to an independent Dementia Design Audit Certificate. This goes further than a self-assessment and has proven of great practical and reputation value to organisations over the last 10 years.
- an assessment visit by expert auditors
- a detailed report providing feedback within a month on areas of design in the building, advice on suggested improvements and a rating of Bronze, Silver or Gold
- a certificate from the University of Stirling Dementia Services Development Centre valid for 3 years
Organisations have also used the audit service to assess environments before and after change and have used the tool as a key part of service change and development programmes.
View some of the Award-Winning Buildings which have received Accreditation Certificates from DSDC.
Also see our audit FAQ's.
The Design Audit Tool
The DSDC Design Audit Tool is a highly-respected series of resources for carrying out self-assessment of environments used by people with dementia. The tool:
- provides a framework for making decisions about design
- works for all physical and social environments - where the person lives but also the wider world of parks, gardens, shops, transport, community services, cafes, clubs and theatres
- applies to existing buildings, new buildings and refurbishment projects in care homes, day centres and medical centres
- helps identify areas for improvement easily and effectively
- connects to DSDC’s formal design accreditation process.
A Specialist version for Hospitals and Emergency Departments is also available
Purchase the Audit tools from our Online Shop
Other awards which DSDC supports include: